Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

If a joint will is made leaving asset to children after the

Customer Question
death of the parents die...
If a joint will is made leaving asset to children after the death of the parents die, can the surviving parent change the benificary?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
7/18/2016
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

If the will of spouse A provide that assets pass to the children after death of parents, and A passes, the will clause is triggered and children would inherit A's interest. Spouse B for example may not undo that, and need to adhere to A's will.

By comparison, if A and B left assets to each other only, nothing about children in the will. On A passing, B can do whatever he wants with assets since left to B outright.

Tried to expedite your answer. Kindly rate me excellent.

thank you in advance.

Infolawyer, Attorney