Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I recently got engaged and planning to get married in the

Customer Question

I recently got engaged and planning to get married in the following year. My concern is regarding assets. I have assets including property, savings, and retirement. I read that in California, you do not need a prenup to keep your assets prior to marriage in case of a divorce. Is this true or is it better to contact a lawyer instead for a prenup? Can I get a prenup without an attorney? What happens if I sell my house after we get married and buy another property?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
It is suggested getting a pre nup. It should be prepared by a lawyer to avoid a layer challenge to it. They are not expensive. Also should keep pre marriage assets titled in own name and never add spouse name to title even after pre nup.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer Good or higher.Enjoy your Sunday.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly click on an excellent rating. Have a wonderful week.