How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away and my mother is trying to collect s

Customer Question

My father passed away and my mother is trying to collect his social security benefits.unfortunately we just found out the church never filed the marriage license. What does she need to do to prove she is married to NYC?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.


You can try to seek a court order that declares that they were married based on witness testimony and other supporting evidence that you may have collected over the year. This is the law that applies. Once the court issues an order declaring and finding that they were married as of XYZ date, it may be submitted directly to the SSA or NYC Dept. of Health to issue a certificate. To do this you will need to file a declaratory judgment action. Here is one to use as a go-by.

Related Estate Law Questions