How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother amended family trust by a handwritten, dated,

Customer Question

My mother amended family trust by a handwritten , dated, signed, notarized , while she was trustee and in normal mental acuity.
My brother, trustee per original trust, will not recognize amendment because it takes away assets from him and gives them to me, as far back as five years ago.
The attorney I hired said amendments are valid, but has yet to file them with the court!
How can I get this done on my own, to file amendments with court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Who told you that the trust needed to be filed with the court? A trust is not like a last will, which is a public record, when admitted to probate. A trust is a private document, unlike a last will, and you need to file suit against the trustee for violating the terms of the trust and breaching the fiduciary duty owed by the trustee.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

These sorts of suits are filed in probate court. Are you thinking of proceeding pro se? Why is your attorney dragging his feet?