How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34951
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 71 yrs old and a widow and currently live and o in own

Customer Question

I am 71 yrs old and a widow and currently live and o for me in own a home in SC. I want to relocate to Florida where my daughter and grand-daughter live. I have no relatives in SC and want o be near my family. I do not want to rent out my home and cannot sell it at the present time. What are the tax liabilities if I change my primary residence to Florida and just keep and maintain the home in SC by paying the real estate taxes which are included in my mortgage.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The real estate taxes will continue even if you leave.

IF you rent the property out while you are gone, you would be liable for tax on any income you make from the rental property.

FL has no income tax. Though they do have a sales tax...though it is similar to SC (6%)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding