How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a will from my Father and Mother dated 2001. At that

Customer Question

I have a will from my Father and Mother dated 2001. At that time my brothers name was on my parents Bank account. The will stated to give him the bank book.After my Father passed away my Mother removed his name and put my on the account as P.O.D, then a couple of years later it became a joint account.After my Mother's Death the account became mine .Since her death i have had her name removed. Does my brother have any legal rights to the account?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

To be clear, the owner of the account, the mother, converted the beneficiary (pay on death beneficiary) to a joint owner on the account, is that clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now the account is mine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that clarification;

yes the joint owner on an account inherits that account by operation of law; if there is a will that also addresses that property, the title of the account takes precedence over any will provision as a matter of law.

This is a common manner in which to avoid probate, as anything that is bequeathed via a will must go through probate.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above;

thank you for using Just Answer!