Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

The woman I thought was my mother just died and there was no

Customer Question

The woman I thought was my mother just died and there was no but I was her only child(I thought) but her sister says I have no right to anything because she's not really mother, never adopted me, just took me and posed as my mother.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

This sounds a little odd to me as it might be a money grab by the sister... So your recourse here is to contact the Oregon Vital Records Office and check with them to see if mother is listed as your biological or adopted mother on your birth certificate.

.

If so, then you are mother's legal child and you would inherit her entire estate under the intestacy laws of Oregon.

.

But if not, then the sister would be correct and you would not legally stand to inherit anything.

.

.

thanks