Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What are my rights as a recipient of my parents estate. My

Customer Question

what are my rights as a recipient of my parents estate. My sister is the executor/personal representative of the estate.
There are 5 siblings and per my fathers will; the estate is to be sold and split 5 equal ways.
The executor has not communicated and progress or information as to the status of the estate to her siblings.
My father passed away April 29,2016 and we have had very little information from her about his will or
any of the sale of his property.
We were told that we cannot contact the Lawyer who is representing the estate.
We are at a loss as to how to proceed.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

First, you have a right to contact the estate's attorney to find out what is going on.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, your sister -- the executor -- has a fiduciary duty to all of the beneficiaries of the estate and has an obligation to keep them informed about the status of the estate, the progression of the estate, when disbursements will be made, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The best thing would be to consult your sister and the lawyer to determine the status of the estate....and if your sister will not cooperate, you and your other siblings could file a motion to remove the current executor and replace her with someone else.