How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2242
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

T talk to me my husband passed away June 19th 2015 he died

Customer Question

Don't talk to me my husband passed away June 19th 2015 he died without a will Andover 6 properties in his name and they are not in the same state I live in they are all in different states
JA: Dealing with estate issues can be complex, but getting accurate information now will save you headaches -- and potentially heartache! -- down the road. The attorneys we work with have a lot of experience, and I'd like to match you with the one who's the best fit.
Customer: Thank you
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm sorry my text messages isn't working very well he passed away January 19th 2015 with out a will he has over 7 property in different states in his name and I don't have all information or address put it into my name or pay the property taxes and I need help I have not spoken to an attorney yet
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Okay
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My husband name is***** and my Michelle Wyatt and I also have a problem with a tent on one of the property that is in both our names
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation and my condolences on the loss of your husband. This is honestly a complicated issue but one that a local attorney will be able to assist you with. To transfer the properties into your name you will need to open a probate in the County in the State in which your husband resided. From there the attorney will file what is called an ancillary probate in each State in which a property is located. This allows each State to issue Letters of Testamentary to you granting you the authority to re-title the properties into your name. There really is no simple process and it will require probate.

The local attorney will be able to find all the properties and obtain the addresses and deed copies as well.

If you tell me what State you live in, I can provide you with information for retaining a lawyer near you to assist you.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.