How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2020 Your Own Question
Attorney2020, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2579
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Attorney2020 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is about land. a person died without a will left

Customer Question

my question is about land. a person died without a will left a house the taxes was three years behind the oldest child being paying the taxes since 2007 can she claim owership none of the children is his
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Mark replied 1 year ago.

Yes. A probate most likely will need to be opened to transfer the land. If they object, then they should be required to pay their share of the taxes. It really depends upon the law of the state. Typically the child would have priority over a person who is not a child. If they do have an interest, then Court may force a sale. It depends upon the state and the relationship to the decedent of the objecting party. Can you provide additional information? Are they step children?

Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Are there stepchildren? What state?