Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My mom passed away recently. She left a will drawn up in

Customer Question

My mom passed away recently. She left a will drawn up in 2005 leaving estate to her t children. Estate mostly consists of equity in her house of about 200,000. In 2009 my mom opened a bank acct and made me and one of my brothers beneficiaries. So i rec 20,000. Question is do i have to put that 20,000 into the pot to be dibi devided by 5? Tks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

n 2009 my mom opened a bank acct and made me and one of my brothers beneficiaries. So i rec 20,000. Question is do i have to put that 20,000 into the pot to be dibi devided by 5? Tks

,

No, if that account had you specifically named as a beneficiary, then that money is not considered part of mother's estate and not subject to the terms of her will. So that money goes directly to you and brother tax free outside of probate.

.

.

thanks