How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Experienced in facets of estates and trusts.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How & what to do about removing my son's name as joint owner

Customer Question

how & what to do about removing my son's name as joint owner on property deed in Brooklyn, N.Y. as have been advised that because of his name on my deed I am unable to receive property tax discount even though i otherwise qualify. I have a will & also a living trust. thank you for any assistance in this matter. e-mail -***@******.***
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I reside in Brooklyn, New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet, but only thru my City Councilman's office, the city at first said I should get a living trust, which I did, then they said to have it amended to a Life estate, then possably I should just remove his nsme from Deed
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no, I think thats about it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Property Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. If the city wants you to remove his name and you still want him to have access to the home after you are deceased or at any point you want him to be able to live there for as long as he wants then you would want to consider a Life Estate Deed. That will allow him to live there after you're gone. And it also would protect the property from any medicare overreach should you need to go into a medical facility. It really is something I suggest you consult with a local attorney to do for you to ensure it is all done correctly and so both you and your son's interests are protected in the future and to avoid any conflicts as to how any medical bills for you would be paid. You want to be certain that your son does not lose his rights to live there as long as he wants and also that you are not losing any rights to protect you from medicare taking your assets. If you need a local attorney to consult with I suggest you can use the NY Bar Association English speaking:(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I suggest it is not something you attempt to draft yourself and that a local attorney would be available to complete this matter for you for about $1500 or so.