How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27989
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My significant other passed away last year, and her children

Customer Question

My significant other passed away last year, and her children said I could live here as long as I want. Her children are out of state and are not interested in the property. I have been paying the Assoc. fees but not the mortgage. The condo is now going into foreclosure. I had a lease with her but never made a copy of it. I also have been paying the electric and cable bill, but the bills were not in my name. I could prove that from emails, and bank statementsfor years. I received a letter to estate of my significant other. It was from a law firm stating it was appointing a judge to serve as Guardian Ad litem. It sounds like it is going into probate. They are asking or trying to discover the names and where abouts of all persons who may be heirs and reportback to the court. as to their identities and where abouts so they are aware of the foreclosure. I am trying to stay here until the property goes back to the bank. I do not want the Assoc. to foreclose on it and that is why I am paying the Assoc fees, but I do not want to do anything that is not legal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the association fees are current, then the association is not going to foreclose. The foreclosure is a direct result of the mortgage not being paid and there is nothing you can do to stop it, since you have no legal right or interest in the home. You would be viewed as a tenant and it would not give you a legal basis to stop the foreclosure. If this is uncontested ( the foreclosure), it could take 90-120 to finalize and go to sale, if not longer. Now, if you received notice from the attorney and the court, you need to respond to the best of your knowledge. Anyone with a potential legal right and interest in the home needs to be placed on notice to the foreclosure, in the event that they want to contest it. If they do, then it could give you additional time to live there.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.