Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My brother and I are co-trustmanagers of my father and mother's living trust. Before all the assets could be...

Customer Question
My brother and I are...
My brother and I are co-trustmanagers of my father and mother's living trust. Before all the assets could be distributed to my brother and myself, my brother died. I am now the lone trust manager of the trust.
My question is, do the remaining assets belong to me or does his spouse have any legal rights to the assets?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/21/2016
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

That depends on what the trust says. The distribution of assets as well as almost everything else to do with a trust are controlled by the language in the papers.

What does it say about the distribution?

Does it address what happens if a beneficiary dies?

Also, was the trust finished and the assets supposed to be distributed after your father and mother passed away?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney