Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  17 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I am wanting to set up a trust or will in kansas. I need a

Customer Question

I am wanting to set up a trust or will in kansas. I need a special condition and am wondering how I can do this. My son will be a benificiary. When he dies I want the remaining inheritance to go to my grand children and not to his current or future wife (He was married about 15 years but separated after a year and he never obtained a legal separation or divorce.) Can this be done? What type of verbiage would resolve this issue?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Just a couple minutes while I research something..

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Have you actually had the trust or will drafted yet?

.

Are you going to draw up the trust or will yourself or are you going to have an attorney help?

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't had the will or trust drafted yet, then you can put whatever conditions or restrictions in the document that you want. If you want to control your assets long term, then a trust is better because a will is settled and then the probate case is closed so no one is monitoring things to make sure that your wishes are followed.

.

With a trust, there is a trustee who manages the trust as long as is necessary. So you can put a clause in the trust that states that son has the right to use and enjoy the assets in the trust for his lifetime and then the remaining assets go to your grandchildren. The trustee will then monitor and administer the trust for as long as is necessary before it dissolves and the assets are distributed to the grandchildren.

.

.

thanks