How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33399
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a 39yr old my daughter who has drug problems since 16

Customer Question

If a 39yr old my daughter who has drug problems since 16 been in jail or rehabs most of that time never worked owns nothing has overdosed many times. Is now in vegetative state on life support can I remove life support without a legal document as next of kin. I have been side by side trying to help her figure this out never giving up hope. Now I believe she needs peace. State of georgia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

First, let me offer the condolences of myself and all of the experts and staff at I can't imagine a more tragic situation for a parent.

As to your question, the GA next of kin statutes place a spouse and then an adult child in front of a parent as far as being next of kin. If she does not have a spouse or an adult child then the law makes you and her father the next of kin and the persons who can make the Do Not Resuscitate decisions.

Note that is different than the decision to remove someone from life support. This one is just saying don't use Cardiopulmonary Resusciation. This is one of the two things that have to be addressed and it is covered by the Georgia Health Code Chapter 39.

I have to do a little more research and will be back with you in just a few minutes. I just wanted to post this first part to let you know we were working on this.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Also, what is your specific question on this issue? I just realized that you hadn't asked a specific question.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to be off the computer for a while and will then be off and on throughout the rest of the evening. Please feel free to post at your convenience and then I will pick up when I return.

Related Estate Law Questions