How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dad owns a home with s aunt whos been dead 5 years. We

Customer Question

My Dad owns a home with his aunt whos been dead 5 years. We are contemplating starting a land trust to protect the home & avoid probate if something happens to him. I am the only child.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. We want to Due Diligence before hand, as not to get raked.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I'm not sure. Just gathering info at this point.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

A trust is the best way to avoid probate, should something happen to him. You can look at land trust, but you may also want to look at a revocable trust, with you as the trustee/beneficiary of the trust. The revocable trust allows your father to terminate the trust if he needed to while he is alive if he needed to liquidate the property for money. Of course, if he passes and has not revoked the trust, then the property in the trust passes to you. The revocable trust also has the benefit of putting other property and assets into it as well...whereas a land trust would be strictly related to the property.

So, I would recommend looking into a revocable trust. It will allow you to do what you guys desire with some flexibility as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit for my response from the site.

Thank you and best wishes!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions?

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or concerns. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Best!

Related Estate Law Questions