How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33042
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question involves an inheritance issue of my dads assets.

Customer Question

My question involves an inheritance issue of my dads assets.
My husband has been out of the house for a year.
I was going to file for divorce but haven't done it as yet.
He has not been here but has supported us (me and my 3 college aged children).
My dad died June 4th and now i am worried about the money i will receive when my brothers and i sell the house.
How will it be handled ?
Can i just put the money in a separate account or have my brothers hold onto it?
My husband was cheating, and got into trouble losing his license and has restrictions as well. But he has not been living here with us.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

As a general rule inheritance is considered separate from marital or community property (where applicable) and is not subject to spousal claims in a divorce.

Just make sure to not commingle the proceeds with marital property.

Related Estate Law Questions