How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41668
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a car that my deceased father owned which is titled

Customer Question

I have a car that my deceased father owned which is titled in Maryland. He left the car in Maryland for the use of a relative when he moved in with me due to illness. At the time of his death in California, where I live,the estate was quite small <$10,000 and therefore met the state criteria for no need to formally probate (no will). The original plan was to transfer car ownership to relative but that is no longer the plan.
JA: Working with a will can seem daunting, but getting the right information now can only help. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Current plan is to sell to a family friend who lives in NJ. They know have the title, the release of lien certificate, the death certificate but stated another form is neede to complete the transcation at DMV.
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Is this the surrogate short form that I read about on-line or is it something else?
JA: Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Janet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Here is what you need

Where there are heirs but no surviving spouse, domestic partner or civil union partner and the estate does not exceed $10,000: Title can be transferred to the next of kin by presenting the old title with an Affidavit of Next of Kin with a seal of the issuing office (must appear on the document) of the county where the decedent lived at the time of death.

You can transfer it to a relative heir here--say you and then you can transfer it to another person once you have title.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.


You would do best here by transferring it to a relative listed in affidavit ..

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.