How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had a car given to m by a friend, the car had been

Customer Question

Hi my son had a car given to him by a friend, the car had been part of their family for years and the family was about to junk the vehicle, the last known owner is deceased and the friend cannot locate the title. Is it possible to get a vehicle titled in this scenario?
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question! are you just wondering how you can get title to the vehicle?

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

California law allows an heir to transfer title of a vehicle if the deceased person’s estate is not going through probate or awaiting probate of a will. Is the family friend dealing with probate/ or a will?

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

The heir needs to fill out a form called “Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate-California Titled Vehicles or Vessels Only (REG 5).” The DMV website has a page explaining the process that those in the Curtises’ situation should follow:

That Web page offers instructions and information about forms and fees, and links to the relevant forms. It also points out that if the vehicle’s registration expires within the 40-day waiting period, “renewal fees should be deposited to avoid penalties.” Also, “transfers between parents and their children, between husband and wife, between grandparents and their grandchildren, are exempt from the transfer smog certification requirements. However, if registration is due, a biennial smog certification may be required and must be submitted with the transfer application

Expert:  Taylor replied 1 year ago.

would you like me to explain the transfer process w/o probable?