How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27586
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancee and I purchased a home in 2004. The house and

Customer Question

My fiancee and I purchased a home in 2004. The house and mortgage were in her name. She adopted a daughter in 1993 which we raised together. We were together 23 yrs. She passed away in Sept. of 2014 and I was told to have her daughter become the administrator of the estate,which she did. We got a lawyer and Paris(daughter) signed the house over to me.Because of my fiance's death it created a financial hardship I fell behind in the mortgage facing foreclosure so I applied for assistance with the bank. Because Paris is the administrator of the estate the bank I don't qualify.Her daughter and I would like herself removed and me replace her as the administrator of the estate so I can qualify for assistance. This is what the bank suggested we do
JA: Dealing with estate issues can be complex, but getting accurate information now will save you headaches -- and potentially heartache! -- down the road. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Maryland ,PG County
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No because maybe this is something we can do on our own like writing a letter or filing a form
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Paris is only 25yrs. She has a daughter 4yrs old my Fiance also was legal guardian to her Nice which who is 15.Which I went to court for had had myself appointed her guardian.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Yes, this is something you can handle on your own. The personal representative may resign his/her appointment by filing a written statement with the Register of Wills after giving at least 20 days notice to all interested persons in writing. In this situation, it is best that she and/or you, contact them and speak with them first, advising of the same and they can advise you as to the best way to proceed. She can file the statement and at the same time, you can apply and ask to be appointed to handle the estate. They likely have the forms for you to fill out and file as well, so you should be able to do this on your own and without the need of counsel.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Estate Law Questions