How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and us bank were named co-trustees of my dead

Customer Question

my son and us bank were named co-trustees of my dead ex-husbands trust fund I am named personal rep.will the trust fund go to me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

My sympathies for your loss;

The personal representative is the person that is appointed to handle the probate of one's estate. If the deceased has a trust, then the personal representative is in charge of distributing any property that does not pass through the trust and that is not disposed of by operation of law (ie financial accounts with pay on death beneficiaries, life insurance policies with named beneficiaries, property held with survivorship rights)

The trustees are responsible for distributing the property that is in the trust. This property will be titled with the trust as owner (for example it will be reflected on the real estate deed).

The person who receives an inheritance under a will or a trust is called a beneficiary or an heir. One can inquire to the trustee as to whether they are a named heir. If so they are entitled to a copy of the trust.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above.

Thank you for using JA!