Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

If the wife and I are Joint tenants on a property and she

Customer Question
wants to sign over the...
If the wife and I are Joint tenants on a property and she wants to sign over the property to me what forms are necessary to file with the recorders office? Grant Deed or Inter Spousal Transfer Deed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
6/7/2016
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

You use a Spousal Transfer Deed.An "interspousal transfer deed" transfers title (ownership) between a married couple. A gift given by one spouse to the other during the marriage is considered "separate" (owned separately), not "marital" (mutually-owned) property.

Free forms

http://ceb.com/jcforms/njdeedi.pdf

This also avoids problems with Prop 13 and revaluation here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Spouse here signs in front of notary and you record it in your county deed records to transfer title.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We want to make it so someone suing her can't come after her for if they get a judgment.

That would work , the judgment is only good against anything in her name and you are transferring it out here.Thats thte way to go here to avoid such a problem.These are the forms you would use.

Thanks for the follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which forms sorry, so they couldn't come after the property?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says link is broken
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which one is it? Spousal Transfer Deed. OR "interspousal transfer deed"

A creation, transfer, or termination, solely between spouses, of any co

-owner’s interest

This is the one you check on int4erspousal transfer deed above.

She is deeding you her interest in the property.

A judgment against her would have no effect here because she no longer has an interest.They cannot touch the property at that point.

Thanks again for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We're sorry, the page you're looking for can't be found.
Please email me the forms***@******.***
The link is broke
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello and thanks for helping me.
Under the Documentary Tax which do I check and do I put an amount in there?
Then under that is another group of boxes to check which one do I check ?
I just want to make sure that I check the right ones.
Thanks Mucho.

You need the clerk to calculate that and you fill it in before it is recorded, that way it is accurate.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney