How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33774
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to put this house in my name. it's currently in my

Customer Question

I need to put this house in my name.
it's currently in my deceased mothers name. She left this to me in her will. I have a copy of the will and a copy of her death certificate. What else will I need for this and how much will this cost me? I am in dallas county, in Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You will have to do some kind of probate. In Texas there are a variety of ways to do this depending on your specific facts ranging from an informal type to a full blown probate. You can sit down with a local lawyer and they will go over the details of the estate so that you can determine which one is correct for your mother's estate.

You will want a lawyer that does probate law. You can find one at and enter Probate Law in the area of practice. That website also allows you to search by geographic location.

The reason that you have to do a probate is that the instant of your mother's death, there was created a legal entity called "the estate" and all of the property that she owned which did not pass by way of a beneficiary designation or something similar.

The probate court will need to look at the will to make sure it meets the requirements of a Texas will, if it was drafted by a lawyer it almost certainly will, as well as appointing an executor, if that is the type of probate needed.

Regardless, at some point the judge will enter an order that passes the title of the property to you and if it is a formal probate then the executor, who may be you as well, can sign a deed in that position/role transferring the property to you.

As far as cost, that varies tremendously depending on the size of the estate, the amount of work required, if anybody contests it, etc. In Dallas, probably $2500 on the low end if any kind of a hearing is needed. There really is no upper end because that all depends on if anybody contests it.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.