Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

The attorney of thr Executor to my father's will is holding my inheritance 'hostage.

Customer Question
' I'm being bullied by the...
The attorney of thr Executor to my father's will is holding my inheritance 'hostage. '
I'm being bullied by the Arlington attorney Dwain ****** (yes, the same attorney who was all over the news for suing a restaurant over a $2.25 cup of soup!) He is representing my uncle (James ******) who is representing my 2 siblings (Jeff & James Keith ******) and they are holding my portion of my inheritance 'hostage'......over items they CLAIM I took out of my dad's house. They are claiming I took a trash can, a egg plate, a gravy boat...etc and I don't HAVE any of those RIDICULOUS items on this list! I have repeatedly told them I didn't take any of those items ......but they are bullying me into settling and receiving almost $20,000 LESS than I'm legally entitled to per my daddy's will. (my dad's will clearly states that everything should be split 3 ways.....EQUALLY)
Both of my parents died 6 months apart in 2013. It has been almost 3 years and Mr. ****** still hasn't finalized my parent's estate. He is racking up the attorney fees by continuing to extend this out to benefit HIM and earn him more money. He is an unethical and unscrupulous attorney.
A bit of history: When my mother died in June 2013, I immediately quit my job and moved from Colorado back to Texas to help my dad out. They had been married 56 years and my dad was devastated. I lived with my dad (per his request) for 6 months until he tragically died from a pulmonary embolism following knee surgery at the end of 2013. The day after my dad died, my brothers told me and my husband that we were "squatting" and we needed to get out IMMEDIATELY. Are you serious? I dropped everything to come take care of our dad and you can't even THANK ME or allow us time to grieve and find a place to live first??! I took care of our dad for 6 months and my oldest brother did not visit my dad even ONCE during that time (he lives in Arlington) and my other brother only visited 3 times in 6 months. My husband & I had a contract on a house to buy another home in Arlington and we were scheduled to move into it on May 15, 2014. However, my brothers and my uncle decided they couldn't wait for us to close and instead they decided to EVICT us from my dad's house just 3 1/2 weeks from our close date! Then...the house sat VACANT for almost TWO YEARS!! They spent money out of MY inheritance to evict us and then just let the house sit uncared for and deteriorate for 2 years?!? What was the purpose of evicting??....just to be MEAN, that's why. Dwain ****** is now asking me to pay $1000 for HIS ATTORNEY FEES for my them evicting us! Unbelievable.
I have lost both of my parents, my brothers, my uncle, aunt, cousins...my entire family....and now I might lose a large portion of what my parents left to me and wanted me to have. Both of my brothers are millionaires and I barely make ends meet so they know I cannot afford to fight this. I'm hoping that someone can help me with this injustice and do something prompt them to do the right thing so we FINALLY finalize this estate....the way my dad wanted per his will.
Can you help me??
​Thank you,
Kathy ************
**************
******************
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/6/2016
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question.
I am afraid that state law forbids any expert on this site from actually representing you or any other customer on the site. If you need local counsel, please use the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com
You may contact customer service at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help to ask for a refund of any deposit if you like or at***@******.*** or you can call Just Answer customer service at(###) ###-####
Estate Lawyer: J. Warren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am a new contributor to your question. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately, Law educator is correct that we may not represent a customer of this website, however, we do provide legal information and provide you with knowledge that hopefully gets you pointed in the right direction.

First, beyond contacting a local attorney to protect your interest, the Texas Bar has services available to the public to assist them with issues they are having with legal counsel. The State Bar of Texas has grievance, fee dispute and ethic complaint services which may provide you with the swift release you are seeking. Here are the specific links:

https://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/ProblemswithanAttorney/CAAP/default.htm

https://www.texasbar.com/Content/NavigationMenu/ForThePublic/ProblemswithanAttorney/ResolvingFeeDisagreements/default.htm

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=File_a_Grievance&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=31916

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Lawyer_Referral_Service_LRIS_

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).