How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33394
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad passed away the 7th of may and not even a day had

Customer Question

My dad passed away the 7th of may and not even a day had passed when his 2 aunts living with him took his valuables from his room and sold everything including the small boat and other truck he bought to fix without going threw probate cause their was no will and I am his only daughter... I've been battling day in day out for help but every door I open for help by tarrant county have been shut in my face.... While I've been doing everything by law they have sold all my dads things but the truck he passed away in which I manage to transfer title since I am the only heir but tarrant county p.d did nothing but accuse me of braking the law for doing a transfer of title even after I explained I did it the right way I showed all the documents to the DMV.... Yet they did nothing to help me recover the last thing I have of my father even after the vin number came back as mine their answer was for me to forget my dads truck but I simply can't ... I explained how I couldn't wait for probate how they sold everything els for drugs but yet all they did was accuse me of changing title against the law knowing.... I also explained to them how I have been back and fwrd on the probate situation and how at my understanding probate is only for when the near family is against who gets who wich only lands on my fathers parents and siblings which they ain't against me having my dads belongings as full heir why should his aunts be against it or why should they even be an opinion in the matter... To them my dads things was easy money for drugs but to me they where priceless... I don't know what to do anymore... I don't want to lose the one thing left of my dad... His truck.. The truck he passed away in.. I'm lost without hope but yet still hanging on to faith... I can't lose my dads truck.... Recovering that truck will help me move onand finally accept he has passed.... I really need help...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What is the specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I go to justice of the peace to retreave my dads truck??? Since the immediate family is OK with me getting my dads truck and I did do a transfer of title by law with paper work including death certificate and I should be getting the tittle in the mail any time now. . the 2 lady's that are keeping me from it are my dads aunts which they don't land anywhere as heirs they have their own kids and grandkids and my grandma is still alive she gives me 100% support to have my dads truck so do all my dads siblings which are still alive also....
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If the state was aware of the circumstances and transferred the title to you then once you get the title you can go to JP court and ask the JP to order her to turn it over.

The only issues I see is that normally there has to b some kind of probate done before anyone gets anything from an estate and so the JP may tell you that you need to go to probate court instead of their court. That is the only real issue I see.

With no will all of his property should have gone to you (if he was not married) if you went through a probate court.