How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died in 1998. My brother was executor. He died May

Customer Question

My father died in 1998. My brother was executor. He died May 2006. His wife sold the stock my father had and put into an account in my father's name. The will says I would be the executor if brother isn't. Do I need special paperwork? The property is in NYS and I live in TX. Secondly, there is a piece of property my father sold and carried the contract. The man disappeared and stopped paying on it. Now the taxes are due again by June 10 in Catskill, NY or it goes to foreclosure. I have already paid over $11,000 in previous years from my personal money. Now Greene County is asking for $7100 plus. What am I supposed to do? I want the property back so I can sell it because it is worth much more now than when my father sold it to him. By the way the county records now say still in his name but has the word "estate" along side of it. Sounds like he may have died. Every time I would ask the county if they had an address for him previously they would say the notice came back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

On the stock sale you should receive record of sale, and you should also have received for the will orders adminstering the will and an accounting of the assets. On the property, the owner owes those expenses. If the owner is not paying the state has the right to collect. You may seek to locate this person and sue for those payments. some collection lawyers handle this including suing person, and if that person passes, his estate

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly let me know if that is clear, and if I may clarify anything just ask me.