How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the personal representative of my late mother. She left

Customer Question

I am the personal representative of my late mother. She left her house to my brother. The property is in Maryland. How do I go about transferring title to my brother?
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: The real estate is in Maryland. I need to make out a new deed so that the property is in my brother's name. Should I use a quitclaim deed and fill it out with myself as personal representative acting as the Grantor? Or do I need to get a personal representative's deed, whatever that is?
JA: OK. The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The property deed lists my father and mother as owners; the deed dates from 1959. My father died in 2003, my mother in 2012. The house is in Prince George's County. My brother has been living in it for the last 20 years. In the will, the bequest to my brother is the first thing listed; after that bequest, the rest of the property is divided between my brother, myself and my two sisters.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state you are in?.Have you been formally appointed by a probate judge as PR for the estate?..thanksBarrister