How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33747
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My stepdad and half brother want me to sign a general

Customer Question

My stepdad and half brother want me to sign a general warranty deed. My mother past way 2yrs ago without a will. Do i have any rights on behalf of my mothers house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. If you are asking whether you have any rights to the house solely on the facts you provided then the question is likely yes. However, other facts could/would change that. To know for certain whether you actually have any interest in the home you would have to get a local attorney to examine the records in the clerk's office as well as other potential documents. In addition, they would have to do a comprehensive interview with you (which isn't possible in a format like we use here) to see if they can spot any potential issues. Regardless, you don't want to sign a warranty deed (general or special) since that means you are "guaranteeing" clear title to the house and, at least possibly, if there are tax liens or some other problems then you could be held responsible for any costs associated with getting the problems cleared up. Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.