How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37360
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does the elder abuse statute in TN define as elder

Customer Question

What does the elder abuse statute in TN define as elder abuse?
Does a 95 year old woman constitute and elder?
Is it abuse to scare the daylights out of an old woman with lawyers letters of foreclosure when she is not behind on her mortgage?
If a person continually harrasses and gives unwanted statemets and brow beats and yells at an elderly person, in an attempt to get financial gains, is that elder abuse under TN law?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello Douglas ---Just Answer is a question and answer service and we also take telephone calls and occasionally some of the attorneys will review documents for customers. We do not refer to other attorneys due to potential liability issues. My suggestion here is that you contact customer service directly at(###) ###-####and ask them to send the question to one of their estate lawyers who is licensed to practice in Tennessee (as a lawyer here, I do not know the practice states of everyone who is online answering questions for Just Answer). I honestly think that with some research into TN law you can answer these questions yourself (I could probably answer them for you if I researched the TN law) but what I really think you are looking for is the connection to a TN lawyer. If contacting our customer service department is not helpful, then you may want to try AVVO or the bar association in the county where your mother last lived -- you can find them both online and AVVO (it is a company like legalzoom but they DO give referrals) and the bar association both have lawyer referral services. -You should ask customer service for a refund if you are not interested in having us do this research for you. I am simply giving this information to you as a professional courtesy because many attorneys would simply open up your question and see that it is not something we handle here at Just Answer so instead of responding to you and letting you know this, they simply close the question and move on. -I hope this helps and puts you in the direction of an attorney that you can use in TN. -MARY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank your for your courtesy Mary.I called customer support and asked that I receive a refund.Your response was not only professional; but it was also courteous. I live in Germantown and I am in the process of becoming a Volunteer State lawyer through reciprocity from Michigan where I am licensed as well as the Eastern and WesternFederal District Courts, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the SCOTUS.I like your five star rating. Do you know of any Attorneys in the Memphis area that I might speak with about a recommendation to join the TN Bar Association?Very truly yours,
/s/Douglas J. Callaha
Douglas J. Callahan
Attorney at Law
Michigan (###) ###-####
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Doug ---I live and practice in Massachusetts so I am far afield of Memphis, TN. One of my colleagues on here is licensed in KY so he may actually have some better information for you on that request. I will p mail him through our system and attach this to it so he can have a look and he might be able to assist. Other than this particular colleague, I dont know of anyone else who is licensed in TN. With over 200 lawyers who are registered here and at least 50 of them on and off on a daily basis, there is probably someone licensed in TN -- but I simply do not know who. -Once you get a response from him (I will ask him to respond either way -- whether he can give you a name or not) then you might want to ask customer service to close this question. This is a public forum and anyone who uses the right search terms can stumble upon this conversation if they wish to do so. -MARY
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
I did send this off to him -- his screen name isCustomer (Barrister in Kentucky) but he is not online right now. He will be online at some point tomorrow, I am sure and hopefully he might have a suggestion or two for you. -MARY
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello Douglas, Barrister here... I wanted to chime in as Mary messaged me last night.. Unfortunately, I don't have reciprocity with TN and after reviewing your comments, I think that the ultimate answers to your questions are kind of subjective because the definitions for harassment and elder abuse are somewhat broad. .According to abuse; neglect; emotional or psychological abuse; financial abuse and exploitation; sexual abuse; and abandonment are considered forms of elder abuse. Yelling at an elderly person may be rude and unprofessional, but might fall under elder abuse if it was intended to agitate or upset them emotionally or mentally. Elder financial abuse relates to their financial affairs, so could possibly fit under that if there was some fraudulent intent. But harassment would definitely be a candidate if this has been a "course of conduct" that has continued once they have been informed that they are mistaken and she is not delinquent..This is an pretty informative link that gives you information about possible resources you could contact for help:.TN Commission on Aging..thanksBarrister

Related Estate Law Questions