Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My disabled sister has a guardian ad litem. When we sell the

Customer Question
family home my parent's will...
My disabled sister has a guardian ad litem. When we sell the family home my parent's will stated that I (as the executor of their estate) take control of her portion of the asset. I was hoping to set up a disability trust. Would I still be the trustee of her assets or would the guardian ad litem? What do I need to do to carry out my parent's wishes for her care? She is currently 64 years old.
Thanks for your advice,
Tracy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/22/2016
Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 1 year ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Thank you for your question. A guardian ad litem is limited to representing her interests in Court proceedings and would not automatically have any claim to become the trustee. My opinion is that you can set up a special needs trust with yourself as the trustee since the Will already named you as trustee. You can get a free consultation from some of the trust attorneys listed by location here. Please follow up on this with a local attorney. I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney