How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42326
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in 2009 but was with him years three children

Customer Question

I was married in 2009 but was with him for twenty years three children together I have raised my younger son on my own for years with no help from him I bought a townhouse with my money before we were married I paid all the bills then we got married when I went to sell it he took half now he owns a condo and a business should I walk away
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. You have a half interest here in any community property acquired by him during your marriage.You can seek a fair division of property during the divorce. The general rule is that Florida is an “Equitable Distribution” state, and marital property, property acquired during the marriage with marital funds or labor, will be divided equally upon divorce (unless there is a reason for an unequal division).Florida law requires an equitable division but also states that in most cases equitable means equal. You may want to consider a lawyer and filing here and an equitable division through the judge if you cannot resolve it. You appear to have valid concerns for dividing assets and seeking to end the marriage.He does not appear to have treated you fairly up to this point. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again and the best here.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Reference to dividing property Lawyer referral Lawyer Referral Service Online - Available 24/7Phone(###) ###-####onday through Friday8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this.I wish you the best.