How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41537
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The house I live in was left to me and my sister. My sister

Customer Question

The house I live in was left to me and my sister. My sister has past away leaving her heirs as owners of her half of the property and house. My deceased sister's husband told me I have to pay rent or be willing to sell . I would like to know my legal position. My brother in law has never paid for upkeep, taxes, or insurance. Thank you. Jancarly
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. Either you or the heirs can file a suit for partition and seek a sale.If you did so then all your upkeep, taxes, etc are deducted from the gross sales price as are the legal fees, costs of sale, etc.You may decide at this point in time it is best here to sell it.You would be able to buy the half interest. I understand that you have a half interest, either you resolve this or file suit for partition and claim all you have invested in it. Otherwise you try to resolve some amount of rent.But if you pay rent they owe half the taxes and upkeep.So again long terma sale here is your best option. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.