RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

Ray, even if its pre marital property isn't my wife

Customer Question

Hi Ray,
even if its pre marital property isn't my wife entiteled to equtity
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. No it is separate property this is not divided.Each person under NY law has their own separate non marital property which is not divided and marital whic is divided.Any inheritance belongs to that person and as long as you keep it separate and do not comingle it then it remains that way. I appreciate the chance to help you again.Thanks.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Reference Generally, marital property is all property acquired or earned during the marriage, regardless of what the title says. Separate property is property you owned before marriage. It also includes some property you receive during marriage, like a gift, an inheritance, or personal injury award to you alone. If you exchange your separate property for new property during marriage, then that new property remains yours alone. http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/marital-property-division/new-york-divorce-dividing-prop