How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a few non family legal issues in regards ***** ***** elderly

Customer Question

I have a few non family legal issues in regards ***** ***** elderly mother affairs but i want to focus on the most costly. For the last 2 years i have been taking care of her and have slowly but surely auditing the accounts.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: 1st the HERO loan program or the contractors of the loan program falsely represented what they would do for her in addition to price gouging. Basically it cost my mom $40,000 for energy saving windows and Air-conditioning for 2000 square foot home. For an energy savings of 0 (actually a cost as she ran the ac more expecting it to do what they claimed). As far as the windows no difference was seen as I suspect she didn't need new windows in her home.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: We were forced to sell her home at nearly 100k below market due to the new payment. I know she is not the only one to have fallen prey if anything I want to stop them from doing this again. Please respond if you are there
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,Probably the easiest (and most effective) way to deal with fraudulent businesses such as this - is by filing a consumer complaint with the state attorney general's office.(You can find this by searching "[YOUR STATE] Attorney General Consumer Complaint")The Attorney General investigates fraudulent and unfair business practices, and takes administrative and/or criminal enforcement action against those businesses. (They do not prosecute individual claims (so they will not return a specific individual's money or void a specific contract) but if your goal is to help prevent future bad conduct and them taking advantage of others, this is an ideal route).Similarly, you can also contact local services, such as the County Adult Protective Services and County Prosecutor (or District Attorney's) offices. Both of these agencies can take similar actions as the State AG, but are focused on local entities. (The State AG generally has more resources and departments devoted to this type of issue, and is my primary recommendation).If you want to be more proactive, you can consider trying to retain a lawyer to represent your mother in a financial abuse of an elder claim. This takes a fair amount of time and is more time intensive, but there is a possibility of recovering money damages in this way. Many of the civil litigation attorneys that take these kinds of claims are willing to do so under a "contingency fee" basis - meaning they will advance the costs of litigation and their time and services for no out of pocket costs, in exchange for a portion of your mother's recovery.

Related Estate Law Questions