Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

If there is no will, mother died and has her name and one brother's

Customer Question
name on deed. Is...
If there is no will, mother died and has her name and one brother's name on deed. Is the house the brothers or is only half his and the other half the 5 remaining siblings?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
5/12/2016
Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Look and see of the deed says that they hold as tenants in common. If so, all tenants in common hold an individual, undivided ownership interest in the property. This means that each party has the right to alienate, or transfer the ownership of, her ownership interest. This can be done by deed, will, or other conveyance. If there is no will then the mom's interest passes by intestate laws which would mean that brother keep his 50% ownership interest in the home plus gets 1/6th more from mom's. The other 5 siblings would inherit 1/6th interest each from mom.
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney