How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a 10 year relationship to a man 30 years my

Customer Question

I have been in a 10 year relationship to a man 30 years my senior. We do not live together but my kids and I live in a property that he owns. He also pays the property tax, utilities and such for the house. He has set up a trust for his family and says that when he passes the property that I am in will go to me. What do I need from him now while he is still able to handle his own affairs to ensure that out come? Because I have had no income for 10 years since entering this agreement with him to provide support for me and my children do I qualify for any type of continued support ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. So long as he doesn't change the terms of the trust while he is alive, then you will get the property through the trust at his death. If you fear that he may change his mind or be convinced by a family member to change the trust, then the only way you can ensure that you will keep the property is for him to deed it to you right now. As for support---if you are talking about cash---because you are not married to him and you have no legal entitlement to his support---aside from his present generosity----if you are looking for future support you will have to get him to provide for you in a trust or give you a lump sum of cash now for future use. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I would appreciate a call to discuss the legal side of my situation.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Hi, All you need to do is accept the call offer, then provide me a number to call and I will be able to call you. Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His trust does not include me or my children. He has given most of his wealth to a trust that will take care of his descendants for the next 300 years. His personal assets will be divided among his two children. He has A three ring binder at his desk that includes instructions for his estate in that binder he has made provisions for me and my daughter that includes the house and sums of money. To my knowledge that is not filed with a court as a legal and binding document so would it be up to his children to follow his written wishes or not?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Hi, If you are having difficulty accepting the call offer---so that we can discuss this at length on the phone--then you should contact customer service and they will be able to assist in getting the call set up. You can contact customer service at(###) ###-####Doug