How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37007
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother passed 4 months ago and my side of the family

Customer Question

,My grandmother passed 4 months ago and my side of the family would like a copy of the will or trust. The in-laws sent us a partial copy, stating they are not comfortable sending the entire will. Can I get a copy from probate court? The portion of the will we were given mentions a trust as well. Can we get a copy of both? (I live in Ca.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If someone has filed a probate case to settle grandmother's estate, then as part of that case, they have to file a petition to open a probate case and file a copy of the will along with the petition. Once it is filed, anything in a probate case is a public document so anyone can get a copy of it. That means that anyone can get a full copy of the will from the clerk of the court..As for a trust, they are completely confidential and unless it is recorded as part of the probate case, the only way to get a copy is if someone is a named beneficiary in the trust. If so, they can send a written request certified mail to the trustee of the trust and request a copy...thanksBarrister

Related Estate Law Questions