How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13510
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the beneficiary on my fathers insurance and pension, investments.

Customer Question

I am the beneficiary on my fathers insurance and pension, investments. Do I have to sign this all over to the executor
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No . I live in Canada and my fathers brother called me ask me to come down to go to his work to sign forms ??
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Come down to Michigan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing.I'm not sure what forms he could possibly need you to sign because all of those things that you mention are not part of the estate. Anything that passes to a named beneficiary -like life insurance, or a bank account with a pay on death clause, etc., is outside of the estate, and the executor has no control over it. They are not distributed per the terms of the will or trust. The estate is made up of anything titled solely in a decedent's name. Now, it's possible there are forms you need to sign for the probate of your father's estate, but there is no reason you would have to come to the United States to sign -your brother can send them to you to sign and return.If you need clarification or additional information please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you needed any additional information about this matter? If not, please remember that experts on this site work on the honor system, and we are not paid until you leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (even though you may have placed a deposit with the site). As always, if you need additional information, simply REPLY, and I am happy to continue assisting you

Related Estate Law Questions