Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Unaccountable funds from mother's estate JA: OK. The Estate

Customer Question

unaccountable funds from mother's estate
JA: OK. The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, but was told t wold costar one $30k to find fund through discovery.
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: Just told you
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Over $100k missing funds, I wold like to know who has them
JA: Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My mother's home was sold just a few months before she passed away and the funds are missing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Bill Fix replied 1 year ago.
If there is that much missing from the estate, you likely have a major action against the executor/personal representative. Most states allow legal fees in a will contest or other probate matter to be paid for out of the estate. So while $30k may seem like a lot, it might be a good investment if it can be used to recover the $100k you claim is missing. And you shouldn't have to pay out of pocket.The executor is accountable for all funds of the estate. S/he will be compiling an inventory as part of the probate matter, and that should show whether the money is missing or not.What specific questions do you have about this situation?