How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42286
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My emancipated daughter passed away in Spain. She was a US

Customer Question

My emancipated daughter passed away in Spain. She was a US citizen. I have been she sole parent all her life. The Spanish Consulate needs proof of whether the 40 yr absent father needs legal involvement in closing all her legal obligations.
He has not been involved in her life why should he be involved in her death?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. He is a potential heir here under the law and if she had any assets he would have claims to them.You and him are the nearest living heirs here and would inherit anything she has.That is the reason they are asking because he would have a claims to her assets in probate,Even if he hasn't seen her in 40 years if she did not have a will he would need to be noticed of possible as an heir or potential heir. I am sorry for your loss of daughter.I am sure that this can all be overwhelming.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Reference to Spanish law on inheritance and taxes due