How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37376
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with my significant other years.

Customer Question

I have been living with my significant other for 10 years. Her daughter with inherit her house. I have a notarized note saying I can live in the house for 6 months after she dies but this was written before the Will was signed. Now she is getting weak and I have been taking care of her and she wants me to stay in her house until I die or leave. She does not want me to have to move.
She wants to create a separate amendment to the Will which will allow me to keep and stay in the house until I die or move if I want.
Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..We aren't allowed to create legal documents for customers here on the site, but all she needs to do is have an amendment to her will, called a "codicil" drawn up that states that she is giving you a life estate in the house. Then she signs it along with two witnesses and it is then completely legally binding as an amendment. .The other way is for her to personally handwrite the the amendment completely in her own handwriting and then be dated and signed by her. This is called a "holographic" codicil and doesn't require two witnesses...thanksBarrister