How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The estate consists primarily of farm land. If there is no

Customer Question

The estate consists primarily of farm land. If there is no official documentation of any kind between the siblings related to joint tenancy, what are my rights as the widow of one of the siblings?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.If there is no documentation regarding joint tenancy, you would have to look at the deed. If the deed is in the siblings name but possibly not jointly then the land could be separated and owned individually. If the siblings names are ***** ***** the deed because no one bothered to change the deed when it passed to the siblings previously, you as a widow would have rights to your spouse's portion of the land. You will most likely need to hire an attorney to trace back the lineage of the deed and get the deed in the name of the correct party. If your spouse is one of those correct parties, you would receive your rightful portion.Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please positively rate my answer if satisfied. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by this site. There should be numbers from 1 through 5 or smiley faces to choose from. Thank you in advance.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Estate Law Questions