How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42285
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in TN and want to know if I can probate my fathers will

Customer Question

I'm in TN and want to know if I can probate my fathers will myself
JA: Estate law can seem daunting, but getting accurate information now can save you headaches down the road. The attorneys we work with have a lot of experience, and I'd like to match you with the one who's the best fit. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes I have ..the one who wrote the will...he told me I could probate it myself but when I went to the justice center the lady there told me I couldn't\
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: I went back last week and he told me it would take 3500 dollars to start probate but he really doesn't want to take the case
JA: Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: it's a pretty simple will...we just want to get it done and sell the poperty
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. You will need a local probate lawyer to make application for probate of will.The court would appoint you personal representative.You would need to gather assets, sell them and funds go into an estate account.You also have to file an Inventory, get an EIN number for the estate account , pay creditors and disburse funds. This is going to take about a year here from start to finish.You want to file deceased's final taxes prior to clsoing and disbursing. Lawyer can also help with sale of property, the listing agreement, sales contract, deed, etc. You can find a lawyer here. I would tell you to shop this, the normal full price here ought to be int he $3,000-$3,500 range plus filing fees.I would tell you thats average for a probate here in Tennessee. Lawyer for you here. Tennessee Nashville Bar Association LRSNashville, TN Phone:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Davidson, Sumner, Rutherford, Robertson, Williamson, Cheatham, WilsonMeets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral Knoxville Bar Association LRISKnoxville, TN Phone:(###) ###-####ounties Served: Knox, Knoxville, Anderson, Blount, Sevier The courts here consider it a conflict of interest for you to serve as personal representative and pro se applicant.I wish I could tell you otherwise,
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Here is the Clerks Guide it explains the process..