Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My fiancé passed away and I have lived here years now

Customer Question
My fiancé passed away and...
My fiancé passed away and I have lived here for 13 years now the house is up for auction do I have any rights at all?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/6/2016
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Attorney
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Did your fiance have a will when they passed?.If so, did they leave you any interest in the house?..thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He never had a will. By the time I asked him to put me on the house he was too sick to do it. He left me Benificiary on all his annuity and life insurance. I wanted to buy the house when it went to auction but I couldn't make it there. It's in the State of Michigan.
Ok, unfortunately, Michigan doesn't recognize common law marriages entered into after 1956, so that is not an option you could pursue..With that said, if he didn't leave you as a beneficiary to the house in his will, the legally you would have no claim to it.. From a purely legal perspective, you would just be boyfriend/girlfriend indefinitely and you would have no claim to his estate..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister
Barrister, Attorney