How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36970
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé passed away and I have lived here years now

Customer Question

My fiancé passed away and I have lived here for 13 years now the house is up for auction do I have any rights at all?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Did your fiance have a will when they passed?.If so, did they leave you any interest in the house?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He never had a will. By the time I asked him to put me on the house he was too sick to do it. He left me Benificiary on all his annuity and life insurance. I wanted to buy the house when it went to auction but I couldn't make it there. It's in the State of Michigan.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, unfortunately, Michigan doesn't recognize common law marriages entered into after 1956, so that is not an option you could pursue..With that said, if he didn't leave you as a beneficiary to the house in his will, the legally you would have no claim to it.. From a purely legal perspective, you would just be boyfriend/girlfriend indefinitely and you would have no claim to his estate..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister