How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41638
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away 3 or 4 yrs ago. 3 of her (5 children)

Customer Question

My mother passed away 3 or 4 yrs ago. 3 of her (5 children) were not informed at that time. I have the death certificate. The 2 other siblings moved from Ohio to Tenessee with the $400,000 left by our mother. I have an address. I sent a Xmas card asking for a copy of the will, and got no response. I have no idea if the 3 of us were disinherited, but if I am due money, I would cetainly welcome my share. My husband and I are retired. The youngest, my brother has passed away, leaving a wife and 2 college aged children. I believe that he was disinherited.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Your first step is to check with the court clerk.Any will here is public record if it was filed for probate.You can also check for an inventory you may be due funds from the estate. Try online first Probate Illinois is designed to give you the latest practical and legal information about administering and probating estates in accord with Illinois law. Interpreting the meaning of the Illinois Probate Act can be a formidable task. Help is just a few clicks away. Also, here will be found the locations of the Illinois Courthouses, names and phone numbers of Probate Judges and Clerks and secretaries, copies of probate forms and specific information about the practical and legal aspects of getting an estate through the various circuit courts of the State of Illinois. This is a "HOW TO" Guide regarding the Illinois Probate Act and the practical aspects of the probate process for both the non-attorney and the attorney. You can find Illinois probate information for your particular situation if you know the name of the city, town or village where your decedent lived when they died and you will be taken directly to the information for the Circuit Court that has probate jurisdiction over that decedent's Illinois estate. In some instances you may have to determine in which County your decedent lived, as several towns are in more than one county. If you know the county name, then you will be taken directly to the probate information for that Illinois County's Circuit Court. You will also find links to the Illinois Statutes relating to Probate laws and Rules adopted by the Illinois Supreme Court and various Circuit Courts relating to the probate procedures in those courts.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
If you cannot locate online email here and they will send you information. You may well be due your share of the estate.if you are an heir you would then write the judge and ask what status of the estate is.The file once you locate will have the judge's name and address. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Sorry for your loss of your mother.

Related Estate Law Questions