John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

My husband has a retirement account and we are trying to find

Customer Question

My husband has a retirement account and we are trying to find out what we need to do to to assure funds to go to me as his wife and prevent any probate action upon his death.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
He'll need to contact the plan administrator and ask for a beneficiary form. Once he gets that form he can name you as primary beneficiary and/or if you pass away before him there can be an alternate. Then make sure he files this with the administrator asap. As long as there is a named beneficiary, it avoids probate. The beneficiary just files some paperwork and a certificate of death to get the benefits.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.