How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 57673
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother married and divorced a man from Puerto Rico, in Indiana.

Customer Question

My mother married and divorced a man from Puerto Rico, in Indiana. He moved back to Puerto Rico, died, and now she needs a death certificate to get $10,000.00 from a life insurance policy she kept paying on after their divorce. He died in 2013, and the life insurance company is giving her until April 28, 2016, or policy will be closed and she will not even get the money from premiums she paid for 20 years. We have tried many times, but now we were told the death certificate has a "hold" on it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
are you asking if the insurer can give such a deadline?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
The insurer has to honor the policy and pay the death benefit. If premiums are owing, that needs to be paid and can generally be taken from the policy per its terms.