How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 36982
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

MY GREATGRANDMOTHER DIED WITHOUT A WILL. My aunt has lead us all to believe she was living there however i just saw the property for sell with a realtor. My mother was her granddaughter as well as my aunt. If there is no will in Austin Texas how can mu aunt sell this property with out giving or sharing proceeds with my mother.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..The only way that aunt could sell the property if it is in G grandmother's name would be if aunt had filed a formal probate case and was appointed executor or if she was listed on the deed as joint owner along with G grandmother..If she has filed a probate case then G Grandmother's children would inherit the entire estate, or her grandchildren if all the children were deceased..If aunt was on the deed as a joint owner, then when G grandmother died, she would become sole owner..So you can first contact the local probate court in the county where G grandmother lived to see if a probate case has been opened and who is Administrator. .You can also get a copy of the current deed to the house to see who is listed as the legal owner/s..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is on sell. I can still see who was on the deed?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Sure, you can always get a copy of the deed from the local land records office as it is a public document...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a million.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Barrister you rock. Thank you for reducing the amount of steps and headache this would have caused. I thank you for your service. I will recommend you in a heart beat ❤️
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help simplify things....thanks muchBarrister