How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33747
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother's will states I get 25% of her estate and my

Customer Question

My grandmother's will states I get 25% of her estate and my mother gets 75%. I saw the will and financial documents with stocks bonds and bank accounts totaling $500,000. My mother says I will only get $400 because the estate is only $1600. I think my mother put all of that money into joint accounts with her name on it. Does this really mean I am not entitled to anything but $400?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. It depends on the exact circumstances. It sounds like you're going to need a lawyer and probably an accountant to figure out what happened. Based on the will you describe, you would have been entitled to 25% of the assets in your grandmother's estate at the time she passed away. However, if she had somehow been tricked into giving the money to someone else or someone had used a Power of Attorney, for instance, to transfer the money to themselves the court can reverse that transaction. Usually the lawyer will go back through the documents detailing the transfers and talk to the doctors to see what your grandmother's condition would have been at the time of the transfers. They will also compare signatures to make sure the transfers were actually done by your grandmother and not someone else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is I live in NJ and my grandma's estate is in NJ. Is there no way around this other than to go to NJ. I work full time and it is 7 hours away. Just thought I would ask.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You can hire a lawyer and you can do everything through the mail and online. If you eventually have to file a lawsuit then you would have to appear a couple of times but that's it.